Bark For Mark

Information about the 2006 Ironman!

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Thank you!

I want to thank everyone! I had the best support crew in the whole race! I heard you all (or so I think) and even made a mental note of everyone out there! I had some time on my hands during the run!

So here's a shout out to the Super Fans:

Swim: Jess, Gary and Linda Smulka, Kelson & Jen, Schnecks, Wolfgram and Sherri, The Brozeks, Rybarik and many others probably, it was hard to tell, I was swimming!

Bike: Jess, Gary and Linda Smulka, Kelson & Jen, Stephen & Emily, Rachel Grimm, Danny, Greg Blake, Chris Hornung, Wolfgram and Sherri, Steve Reeds, Frehner, O’Donnell, Lee, Vale, Wayne, The Mundys

Run: Jess, Gary and Linda Smulka, Kelson & Jen, Stephen & Emily, Katie K, Zarun & Lidka, Frehner, O’Donnell, Wolfgrams, Greg Blake, Shelley, Marne, Melissa C, Hez & Tad, Ryan & Jill Shiroma, Steve Reeds, Danny, Zahorik, Wayne-o, Jerry, Jess & Kieran, Vale, Plymale, Chuckles

I couldn't have done it without all of you guys. Every go Mark or go Larson brought a smile to my face and extra motivation to go even harder! If I missed you, please let me know, I tried hard to get you all but there were times on the course I was totally zoned...

Also I was happy to have the support of alot of people who couldn't make it in person. Whether it be asking about training, congratulating me, following along on-line or via cell phone or baking me some congratulatory cookies it was all appreciated more than you know!

I also have tons of people to thank:

Jess- You've been my everything through this whole experience. From the morning where I decided if I wanted to do this all the way through the Taco Bell drive thru. Awesome! I love you!!! And to think the Ironman is only the second most important thing I get to do at the Terrace this year!

Gary, Linda, Mom and Dad, Family- You gave me top notch support the whole time! I even used some of Linda's Ironman tips! Thanks so much for everything!

Jerry- Top notch coaching and above average mechanic work. I guarantee very few people trained the way I did. We were able to balance a bike racing season and a successful Ironman both. Amazing.

Riding Pals (Gun Show, Baraboo, Team Schwinn, Chainsmokers)- This season was the most fun I've ever had riding bikes! I climbed mountains, rode with a world champ, eluded tornadoes, had my first ever road crash and hit 55mph. Awesome!

Tri advisory committee (Alvarez, Harms, Brozek, Nagle, Green)- You made me look somewhat like a triathlete. I forgive you! Thanks for the advice, I only half looked like a rookie!

Bruno- You rocked! The fact we both were doing the Ironman I believe pushed us both to go that extra mile to accomplish everything we could.

There are many more I can and should thank but man am I tired! The Ironman was a once in a lifetime experience! I invite anyone and everyone to pick a very large goal, work hard and accomplish it. There aren't words to describe the feeling of doing the Ironman for a first time. I am very fortunate that Madison has an Ironman so I could do it in front of lots of friends and co-workers. Mark Larson- Ironman. It's something no one can ever take from me. I don't know if I can ever top that feeling athletically and I don't know if I even want to. Thank you to everyone who is still reading. I can't believe it is over. Now what? Fortunately for me I've got alot left to do, starting Saturday with a trip to Florida and also finishing off all those wedding plans I made Jess wait until after the Ironman to do! Next year I will be focused on bike racing. I've got other big goals to accomplish in my lifetime but those are for another day, another year and another blog...

2 Comments:

  • At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mark-

    I'm so proud of you and all you've accomplished this year. I love how you trained your way and didn't let the Ironman keep you from doing all of the things you love to do (like eating junk food). :o)

    Watching you actually doing the Ironman on Sunday was amazing. There was no doubt in my mind that you would complete your goal of finishing, but your finishing time shattered all of my expectations. Remember when I tried to tell you that you'd probably end up walking most of the marathon? You proved me completely wrong. Your effort, dedication and determination blew me away. I'm so proud of you! I love you!

    Jess

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    jeez jess, if you love mark so much, why don't you marry him? oh, wait...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home